History of St Mary the Virgin

Church Features

Porch - 15th century, with stone seats and the remains of a vaulted ceiling, with at one time     a room above accessed from a door just inside  the south aisle. Look for the remains of a holy water stoup just inside the entrance and also an empty niche which once contained a statue of the Virgin Mary.

South Doorway - 13th century, very fine, formed by 2 orders of detached shafts and a finely moulded arch.

Font - probably 15th century, a plain, square bowl with quatrefoils, resting on cruciform steps. 

West window - early perpendicular style, with graceful, flowing tracery.
Look for the brass memorial to an unknown knight c.1485)
Note the fine octagonal columns with carved heads.
5 pairs of ornamental lamp holders decorate the nave, copies of St Mark’s, Venice, and made in Naples (1884).
Diamond hatchments - reflecting the Rolfe family (north aisle) since 1560 -                                                               
NW - Nicholas Styleman d.1830,  (greyhound /     unicorn figures)  

Centre N - Edmund Rolfe d.1836 (sheaf with gold rings)

NE - Edmund Rolfe d.1817 (sheaf, arms a Gyronny with     gold rings)  and their widows 

SW - Elizabethe Styleman d.1831 (swans & herring)                                                        

Centre S - Catherine Rolfe d.1837     (running     greyhounds                                                        

SE - Dorothy Rolfe d.1829         

The royal coat-of-arms George III hang above     the nave arch.

Page last updated: Saturday 9th November 2019 4:08 PM
Powered by Church Edit